About Me

Dana writes songs and sings her ass off fronting the soulful, rocking Dana Fuchs Band, based in NYC. Dana and her band are currently on tour all over Europe and the USA in support of her new critically acclaimed album, "Broken Down Acoustic Sessions." Dana also stars as the rock singer "Sadie" in Julie Taymor's film "Across The Universe."

Thursday, February 02, 2006

A DAY IN THE LIFE- Day 1

Car arrived at 6:30am. My pickup time was 7. He was EARLY!! And GOD that's early. Concerned (and surprised), I called the AD who said "just make him wait; you don't have to get into that car until you're ready." Wow. That was weird. Well, you know I was gonna milk this one! Besides, I knew it wouldn't take an hour and 1/2 to get to Harriman State Park. One of the benefits of being the only local cast member. They get the out of town per diem (that's daily allowance to live on, for you non-industry folk) and I get extra sleep.

Call time was 8am at Sebago Lake in Harriman. (A place I've been hiking for years--who'd have thought?) Upon arriving I was greeted by a variety of crew people all with walkie talkies confirming that "Sadie has arrived" and "can we get a check on the hair?" (which had just been dyed red. Very red). Breakfast orders were being taken for the cast and when I asked what my options were I was told "anything." Impressive. After coming too a little more, I ordered an egg white omelet with "all the veggies you've got." I'll be damned if they didn't whip up an amazing egg and veggie masterpiece. I can't think of a vegetable that wasn't in it. This was prepared a mile up the road in the "hot food truck."

Then I wandered around waiting for my call to go to "make up." Found a hiking trail and got a good 10 minutes into it, only to hear my name reverberating through the woods. Hustled back up and was very politely told that it's best not to wander off too far. So, I went to make-up. Spent an hour getting the "natural look."

By 11 am I was told to hang tight until noon lunch break. So, I took another hike. This time much further and once again my name rumbled through the forest. I returned to find the place completely deserted except for the poor PA who got stuck looking for me in the woods. I didn't realize that lunch was at the location a few miles up the road (where naked Asian woman danced on water to the song "Across the Universe". SO cool) so they had to send another van for me. Ooops. Okay, now I get it.

The food was quite good! (and the thousands of bees and wasps MUST have agreed!) Lunch was fast. Literally. We had to walk around eating so as not to be swarmed--and I mean SWARMED--by wasps and bees.

I ate fresh snapper and a giant salad. Being in a mid drift and hip huggers made it easier to resist the carrot cake, peach cobbler, pecan pie, macaroni.... you get the idea.

By 1:00 we headed back to our trailers for more touch ups on our natural beauty (heh hem).

Then there was more waiting. One cast mate said, that Paul Newman said, that "you're not getting paid to act, but for the time you spend waiting around." Seems like. (Frankly I rather enjoyed such rare downtime! However, ask me about this in January.)

Finally at 3pm it was time to shoot our first scene (which is actually toward the end of the film). Me and my 5 castmates were led into the woods, positioned around a GIANT paper mache hand, and waited for the director to yell action so we could frolic down a hill for about 10 seconds until we heard "CUT." We did this 3 more times and by 3:30 the A.D. announced "That's a wrap" you can all go home.

Whew. Make-up is exhausting!

We changed, piled into a van and drove back to NYC tired and excited saying "holy shit, we're making a real f***ing movie."

We'll have 3 solid days/scenes with Bono next week. I think I'm going to be star struck.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You were AMAZING in the movie. Fantastic!

Unknown said...

Hey Dana,

You were so awesome in that movie! I was just incredibly proud of you and glad to know you. I'll see you soon, I hope.
Dan from the NYU group--

Unknown said...

wow, you were soo awesome in across the universe. you have an amazing voice!! I saw this movie soo many times. good job to all of you guys!!

ArielleRose said...

You were absolutely awesome in "Across the Universe"! I plan to immediately buy your CD. I loved the entire movie. It made me happy.

Swann said...

Hello Dana; What a wonderful discovery I encountered this evening while watching the movie Sherrybaby! I eagerly awaited the credits to roll, my eyeballs going 100mph scrolling for your name! The song "When I Get My Life Back" was truly incredible. My question to you is how do I get my hands on the songs you did for this flick? God Bless.

chewbecca said...

oh my god!!!!you rock i've seen across the univerese like a billion times, its one of my very favorite movies! omg, i love you, and i love joe a., jim s., evan rachel w., t.v. carpio, martin luther!!!i love bono and eddie i., joe cocker, julie t. and every other awesome person was at all involved in htat movie!!!!!and i, of course, love the beatles!!!!! omg is there anywhee where i can buy like the cothes that people wore in that movie, because my friend was telling me that they re-sell them so that it doesnt cost as much. if you ever see any of them(the cast/movie ppl) again can you please tell them that i love them!!!!especially joe anderson!!!!!!
sorry, sorry ill cool it.
i love you, you were beautiful, that movie is beautiful, and u guys did a great job singing the beatles songs my favorite was hey jude ( the ones u sang were amazing too my fav was dont let me down with martin luther).
Maybe you guys could make another movie like that, like maybe with a different band. of course it woodnt be as good, cause the beatles rock, but it wood be good, even just because you guys were in it. you cood do like simon and garfunkle...sorrry im getting overexcited again.
anyways, i love you; you are a beautiful singer and person and you only look tall when you stand next to prudence, thats just cause she tiny (i love her too).
o yeah, i saw you guys on oprah the other day, it rocked you all looked so happy, especially jude!!(omg!) say hello to everyone!

. said...

Dana, you are so damn hot I just can't believe it...its like Janis reincarnated in your body, plus alot more.

Such an amazing talent...you have touched my soul.

An Oldman from nowhere.

. said...

And one more thing, you will probably never see this...

Always be yourself. Always.

Thank you for your talent.

chewbecca said...

DANAN FUCHS I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! ahh i love you love you i love you!!!!! i also love joe anderson and jim and everyone. if you see joe anderson tell him "his filmographer of "traveling" (mr. Edwards)'s neise's friend(Becca) says hello and i love you" because I LOVE him. and also say "Thank you for being in this world- you make it a better place." and sam eto you I love you.

Boris said...

Thank you, Dana! Yuo are so wonderful! Already a week listening only to your songs. I'd like to see and hear your live concert. Welcome to Saint-Petersburg (Russia)! Sorry for my bad English. I'm like a dog. I understand everything, but I can not talk. ))) Thanks again! "Across The Universe" forever!