About Me

Dana writes songs and sings her ass off fronting the soulful, rocking Dana Fuchs Band, based in NYC. Dana and her band are currently on tour all over Europe and the USA in support of her new critically acclaimed album, "Broken Down Acoustic Sessions." Dana also stars as the rock singer "Sadie" in Julie Taymor's film "Across The Universe."

Thursday, February 02, 2006

“AND IN THE END.. (our last day)

“AND IN THE END" (our last day)

... the love you take, is equal to the love you make" (from the Beatles' song "The End").

We said it felt more like the end of an era than just a film. After 8 months of experiencing together the biggest thing that's ever happened to any of us, that's almost how it felt.

The last 2 days were a completion of the first 2 days (which were shot up state in the woods if you recall). Only now there was no way we were going to fake "summer" in upstate New York, running around in skirts, tanks, shirtless, etc., pretending that the bare trees were ripe and lush or that the water wasn't ice. So everything was done on what they call "blue screen" which, again is really all green walls, floors & ceilings on the set around us, so they can later computer generate the scenery. (Hmm. Now that you know this, let's see if you'll be able to tell once you see the movie which shots were really done outside and which were not!)

First was the "tank" scene. After wandering through the woods where Dr. Robert (Bono) has dumped us on his way back to California, we stumble into Mr. Kite's (Eddie Izzard) circus, where we find Prudence (who's been missing) playing "Henry The Horse"!

Now we are all together again for the last time before the film takes its dark turn.

The "tank" is the lake we come across and decide to take a rest at as the LSD begins to wear off. We all end up in the water.

This was supposed to be the big nude scene, but in PG-13 movies you can't show any nipple, but crack, nothing! So only a few of us had to bear it all because Julie decided that our colorful clothes floating around would look much more interesting than a bunch of organless barbie dolls. However, Max, (who's about to go to Vietnam and is starting to lose it) rips all of his clothes off so we have him floating about all naked and crazy looking; then Jude and Lucy get naked for some underwater love play. (They are able to beautifully hide their private parts by wrapping around each other. It's an UNBELIEVABLY exquisite shot where they do a John and Yoko like wrap and kiss underwater for a very long time).

The rest of us had to twirl around under the water singing, and let me tell you, having spent my entire childhood pretending to be a mermaid in any body of water I could get into, I thought this would be a piece of cake! Oh no. I had to twirl about in my clothes, dance around JoJo AND sing the song "Because" all under water WITHOUT making any bubbles AND while staying exactly in the middle of the water's depth!! Oh and again the whole 48 frames (song sped up) thing. (Which at least made it easier to stay under water for the whole verse because it wasn't as long!)

Turns out I'm incredibly buoyant (maybe it's the boobs) and JoJo sinks like a giant boulder! We tried to balance each other out because it was imperative that we stay in the middle of the water, not too close to the surface or to the bottom, so we remain in the right camera frame for the whole blue screen thing.

Once we'd go under water and hear "action" then the beginning of the song, I'd start my singing & twirling only to go bobbing straight to the top. After a number of takes trying to stay down long enough to sing with no bubbles, and while trying to twirl and look sexy, floaty and peaceful, they finally thought to put an ankle weight ...around my thigh). After that, I was Sadie the f**ing Mermaid!! I flipped and twirled and wrapped around JoJo, singing and seducing. It was a BLAST! My ears were filled with water; my nose, (having drunk almost as much water as my mouth forced me to gulp down -- yuck), was burning like mad; AND, in the last take, (once I figured out how to REALLY make the ankle weights work for me even more) I did this diving down flip thing, and my pants completely split open. Bearing all! The wardrobe department said I'd start a trend of velvet chaps. Another tortuously wonderful scene indeed!

The last scene left to shoot (except for Jude who finishes the beginning of the film in Liverpool this month) was us at the circus tripping on Mr. Kite, the Blue Meanies, the Hendersons, and each other.

Most of all, I think we were all just tripping on the whole crazy, amazing, bizarre, exciting, confusing, challenging, dream-making, trip of it all.

We were all reduced to tears as we were officially "wrapped" one at a time.

I wonder if I will ever again work with such beautiful, and uniquely talent people.

Thank you, Julie Taymor.

Thanks all of YOU for letting me share with you the most amazing thing I've ever been a part of.

Hope to have many of you at the premiere next Thanksgiving!!

21 comments:

cathy said...

I just saw the movie at Vancouver, BC beautiful work! And your voice was amazing...:*)

aumeye said...

I just came home from the theater. I'm still high from the film and not prepared to say anything more valuable than this: I was seriously happy for those two-plus hours. Across The Universe is the best kind of entertainment and you, Dana, were PHENOMENAL! What a powerhouse singer you are; I want more, so I will now seek out your other work. How could I not?

Unknown said...

No doubt about it...you are AMAZING!!!! I just saw Across the Universe and loved it! It was a creative, beautiful piece of art. Your voice and your presence were a huge part of this film. You were truly mesmerizing! I also enjoyed your blog. Thanks!!!

Mike said...

As an old boomer I really enjoyed the movie a lot. We all did. We saw the movie just outside of Portland, Oregon and one thing that surprised me was the number of kids there...teens and pre-teens. That says a lot I think. And my hope from this would be that these young people would have some of the anti-war message sink in and come to realize that all that they see and hear on FOX is not true or real.

Thank you for the fun and interesting blog.

Lady BD said...

The film just went into wide release yesterday 10/5/07. Our Denver theater boasted a good sized multi generation crowd. They were amazing, it was almost like a party in itself with people singing along, cheering, encouraging and totally engaged in the film. But at the end it was one name everyone kept repeating. "Who on EARTH is Sadie?" On the way out people were wondering where they'd seen you before, heard you before, and where they could catch a concert.

Girl, you OWN this film!! See you, Joe and Julie at the Oscars.

NJCHICK said...

I went to see the movie last night and have been singing the songs all day today! I cannot wait to take another group of friends with me to see it! Thank you for this blog (I read ALL of it while my three children (6, 4, & 2) were napping - so much for tonight's dinner. Look's like crappy pizza everyone). Your voice/stage presence is amazing! You ooze Sexy Sadie! I cannot wait to pick up your tracks off iTunes! Say good-bye to Laurie Berkner kids! I wish you ever success that life and love have to offer! Connie (nj.chick@yahoo.com).

Emma W said...

Dana! I too just saw the movie this afternoon in Vancouver, BC! I just wanted to tell you it was AMAZINGGG. Great great job. You have a killer voice. The movie truly touched me.

www.myspace.com/juicy_shopaholic

Nicole Brown said...

Wow! I second all of these comments. I thought you were fantastic and a very mesmerizing part of the movie. The other actors were phenomenal as well.

Thank you so much for sharing this info with the public. I hope you know how much the grueling work paid off and that the buzz is real! You're amazing!

I saw the movie two days in a row and plan to see it over and over and over some more. Not a movie that should be missed on the big screen! I can't wait to see it again after reading some of your inside info. (As a Beatles fan, I can't believe I missed the cat's name was Rocky. I was wondering why he resembled a raccoon!) I loved it and I loved you in it!! God bless!

Mr. Space said...

I've had your version of Helter Skelter in my head all weekend. Quit it!

meganogden said...

WOW! I am a HUGE Beatles' fan and when I heard about this movie I couldn't wait to see it! I have seen the movie 3 times already and cannot believe how amazing it was. It was so original! The music was AWESOME too! You are an incredible singer and I'm so happy to have stumbled upon your blog. It's so great to kind of know what went on behind the scenes of one of my alltime favorite movies.
Thank you so much for being a part of Across The Universe. Without you it definitely wouldn't have been the same.

Invinoveritas said...

Loved what I've seen and heard on your website, Dana, you've totally blown me away. Wish I could get to NYC, or Finland, or somewhere to see you. Ever play Harrison, Arkansas? I'd love to hear you sing O Holy Night, show Celine how it ought to be done! All the Best to you, Dana, and thanks for what you do!

Ted Thompson
phfft.blogspot.com

Invinoveritas said...

Loved what I've seen and heard on your website, Dana, you've totally blown me away. Wish I could get to NYC, or Finland, or somewhere to see you. Ever play Harrison, Arkansas? I'd love to hear you sing O Holy Night, show Celine how it ought to be done! All the Best to you, Dana, and thanks for what you do!

Ted Thompson
phfft.blogspot.com

Invinoveritas said...

When was the last time you closed your eyes to listen, just listen, to any kind of music?

Remember when acid rock touched you at the molecular level? Tugged at your subatomic particles and made your electrons glow? Ok, maybe it was the acid, but do you remember when the best way to listen to Santana was on vinyl, with your head laid low on yellow shag carpet, your inner space wide open, empty and receptive, and balanced perfectly between two big speakers that you stuck right onto your ears? Remember how the music met in the middle and danced in your core?

God, I do. I remember when Jefferson Airplane first graduated to Starship status, oh how I wanted on that spaceship. I wanted to say goodbye, I wanted to let the motherfuckers just kiss my longhaired ass, I wanted to see my baby strolling on the A-deck of a starship with her head hooked into Andromeda. I was touched to the acid essence of my misspent acid being, and I loved it, over and over again. I closed my eyes and flew to the stars.

When was the last time you saw a paisley behind closed eyelids? Envisioned Black Magic Women climbing Stairways to Heaven? Recognized that the Lunatic was, indeed, in your head?
Remember when CSN could say nothing wrong, and always said it right? Remember when the sound track from Easy Rider stayed in the 8-track player for two solid months? Remember when Ian Anderson's flute was 5 feet long and left sparkling glitter trails, in the air and in your head?

Remember when Jimi Hendrix actually made sense, besides sheer virtuosity? The Star Spangled Banner, that electric meathook of expatriotism -- a flag song indeed, more like an 8-track flag burning, as tangled up and discordant as we were, relaying our grief. When you closed your eyes, Oh Say Could You See that freak flag flying? Damn. I could.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was a virtuoso too, better than Hendrix in my opinion, but his music never made me close my eyes. I might close my eyes when I think about Cheryl Crowe, but not when I listen to her sing. (I don't listen to her anyway, she's just another fine-assed gal on the radio and TV, with little voice and insipid lyrics.)

They say the Heart of Rock and Roll is the Beatin'. Might be true, I think it is, especially these days. I like a lot of music, I listen to a lot of music, I still appreciate virtuosity, and my jungle heart still pulses to primitive rhythms and strong bass lines.

But the truth is, I miss the music I could see.

I think, more than that, I miss the person who could see it.

(Thanks, Dana, for re-introducing me to that person.)

TAT
phfft.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow, I totally loved you in Across the Universe...! We're constantly posting about you and the other cast members over on imdb.com, on the Across the Universe board. I saw it 3 times before it got pulled from theatres in my area, but I would have seen it 50 more times if it had stayed! Can't wait for the DVD release in February. And the soundtrack! OMG, I was blown away by the music within the film AND on the album. Thank you for being a part of this wonderful movement in my heart. I'm in love. :D

Deidre said...

I love the movie so much. This is the first movie I ahve ever seen more than once while it was still in the theatre. I saw it 3 times! Now we have the DVD and have watched all the extras including the commentary.
Thank you SO much for blessing us with your Sadie! We love you! We can't wait until you are a huge star and we can see you here in Portland! Come see the lovely west coast. We have great microbrews!

jellio said...

The movie, and your performances presented in it really "touched" me. The Beatles music has been a personal point of contention; In many respects, I would have been just as happy given all of my fabulous musical choices, to throw out the metaphorical baby with the bath water, if such a thing were possible.
I imagine if it weren't for a hard-core Beatles fan/guitarist, in one of my math classes who basically wouldn't stop harassing me until I at least tried singing a few of their songs with him, and now this movie...Anyway, much easier to sort out/through the music of the Beatles that I think I feel is utter rubbish, and wholeheartedly enjoy the particular aspects I find,as if equally, utterly brilliant, and us such, sing! ;]

Niki Jones said...

Wow - I was sitting in a coffee shop the other day and they were playing this REALLY great version of Helter Skelter, it was from the sound track. As luck would have it the movie was playing at the local University the next night, I talked the Hubby into going for Valentines day, and WOW! What a great film and you really did such an amazing job as Sadie!

So glad I found the blog as well. It was so fun getting a little bit of the inside scoup on filming and I would have died if Bono 'had a go' at me!

Sure hope you make it out west sometime soon. Would love to hear you live.

Luna Del Rivero said...

I can´t believe how amazing is this movie...it´s incredible, it´s marvelous, so creative, what a way to show a love story... Yes it´s a little late to express my "original" opinion, but in the state I live at mexico the movie arrive yesterday...
But I have to say that when mrs fuch appear... my world rock...
:)

Equalizar said...

Dana...
I only past here to say that I love your voice! You are fantastic!!
Greetings from Brazil

Kiss

Débora

Luciana Siqueira said...

Dana will be presented in Brazil, I love your work and your voice is amazing! kisses Luciana

Frutillas Anónimas said...

all you need is love and rock and roll
and of course sex and drugs

we are the strawberrys
you can visit our blog
dream the new day, when the new day has just arrived

CARPE DIEM
strawberry fields forever